July 31, 2011

Workout Buddies......

Shelly and I were talking a while ago and we agreed that we BOTH needed to exercise more...at least, more exercise than walking to the refrigerator to find a snack to eat while sitting in front of the T.V. In other words, actually MOVE and hopefully break a sweat. Unlike her sister, Becky, who has lost around 40 lbs. and is hooked on Zumba classes, Shelly and I are not into that high-impact aerobics sort of exercise; at least not yet (and perhaps never).  We are of the belief that we need to start out SLOWLY and it's more fun if you have a workout 'buddy'. I don't know if she will be pushing me along or I will be the one pushing, but we WILL get moving! So when Grandpa and I move to Tennessee (in September), Shelly and I want to check out Yoga. I was in Yoga for about 3 years back when I was working and loved it. Now, Shelly wants to do something that makes her 'break a sweat' and is a little skeptical if Yoga will do that for her. But I assured her when I was busy bending, streatching and breathing in Yoga classes, I definitely 'glistened' (as we all know, men sweat but women glisten). Granted, the music in Yoga is a little slower and softer unlike the upbeat, LOUD music that I would think comes with Zumba classes. But also, the movements are also slower and they have less impact on the knees, ankles....well, to be honest, probably on every joint in your body. And even though that is true, you do get a good workout because I hurt the next day after a class but at least my body wasn't screaming at me for abusing it! Shelly doesn't need her body screaming at her....she hears enough screaming being the mother of three young daughters.

I guess then we will have to put together our 'work-out' attire. Oh goody....any reason to buy new clothes! Actually, there isn't anything fancy-schmancy that you have to buy and at my age, I could care less (Shelly, on the other hand might think differently) what I have on my body. First of all, there is no sports bra to purchase. I mean, let's face it....the 'girls' are not going to be doing a lot of flopping around in Yoga. I think they will do more hanging than anything so any bra will do. As for shoes....don't need them. I did Yoga in my socks. As for the rest, big baggy shirt (borrowed from Grandpa) is good and for the bottom, cozy pants (as Trinity likes to call them). Some call them 'sweat pants'; actually, I like the Yoga pants which are just sweat pants and open at the ankles. And, they do not cost a fortune. I remember years ago when I was in exercise classes, I wore the spandex pants or shorts. Well, won't be doing that anymore. I have lived long enough not to have to be constricted by my clothes; especially, when I am trying to move. Now, that's not to say that Shelly may want to look the part of an exercise diva. That's up to her....then again, who would blame her since she is a size 6!

Will keep you posted when we start and how it goes. If anything, it will be 'girls night' out and worth a few giggles.

No comments: