June 16, 2011

Ok, this is going to make some of you shake your head in disbelief but I swear.....it's true.  Are you ready? I know that this will be hard for some of you to comprehend, especially in this world of fast money and 'plastic' but there are still some of us out there who......

Don't have a Debit Card

and

Have never used an ATM Machine

Who still goes into Walmart (or any other store for that matter) shopping and has to dig out the checkbook and hunt around in the bottom of my purse for a pen and then drag out my cell phone (yes, I do have one of those) to find out the date before I can write out the check. So as not to inconvenience the clerk or the people coming up behind me (giving me the evil stare), I usually have all the information written on the check before I hit the checkout line and just have to fill in the amount.  I may be 'behind the times' but at least I'm efficient!

We do our grocery shopping with cash and we have one credit card that we use only for putting gas in the vehicles (one that gives us a % of our total purchases back).  We have one credit card that we use strictly for going to CVS for prescriptions and/or for paying for our mail order prescriptions (which we spend a small fortune on per year).  I have one credit card in my name only which I use at least once a month which believe it or not, has earned me a one-point better credit score than Grandpa! I also have my own checking account...but, right now I think it has a balance of around $74 which is ok because I don't like shopping anyway! (Watch for an upcoming blog)

Grandpa pays the bills but I review every credit card statement (which we always pay in full) and medical bill that comes through the mail. Those do not get paid without my approval and verification. I also balance the checkbook so we have a 'double check' on our bookkeeping. I am trying to convince him that we should try and pay some of our bills online.....but, he's not too sure of that idea. He keeps mumbling something about 'big brother watching....'

Now, where did I put that checkbook.........oh, and a pen.....and, what was the date again?

No comments: