June 21, 2011

Goodbye General Hospital


Ok, so General Hospital isn't going anywhere.....at least not yet. What I'm saying is goodbye to is my 'addiction' to watching it, recording it, and/or visiting the various sites on the computer to get episode updates, latest news and gossip or biographies of the stars. Whew!! It was a tough one.  I had to do it slowly so I wouldn't suffer and 'withdrawal'.  I went through that months ago when I dropped Farmville and that about did me in! So, I had to come up with a better plan if I was going to give up watching my favorite soap....a soap that I had been watching since I was a stay-at-home mom over 30 years ago. I was present when Luke and Laura got married and Helena Cassadine was running amuck in Port Charles (aka Port Chuck). I have followed the Quartermaines and Spencers through three generations and had to endure new actors taking over the roles of some of my favorite characters, like Lucky Spencer....I went through three Luckys....sure the first and third ones were the same actor but that doesn't mean it was easy. I've watched Carly get married so many times that I lost count a long time ago but it sure doesn't seem to bother her to have six different last names (Corinthos twice!) Oh, and that's another one that was played by three different actresses over the years....it took them that long to find the 'perfect' Carly but it was worth the wait. The hardest thing to get used to when watching a soap is when they take the kids and speed up their ages by 10 years between Friday and Monday! I mean some of those kids went from kindergarten to high school in two days; however, their parents don't age.....go figure!!

Well, it's time to hang up Port Chuck and the gang. After I was a stay-at-home mom and went back to work, I taped the show on our VCR....yes, VCR....and watched an entire week's worth of episodes over the weekend, zipping on through the commercials. Then I moved on to watching episodes on the ABC web site. When I retired, I found myself still not watching the show when it aired even though I was home.....I still watched it over the computer. Sure, with shorter commercials but still, I used precious time to catch up. (Actually, you can watch Monday and Friday and not miss a thing which is what I did for a few weeks to ease the withdrawal). It finally hit me....WHY?  And then they killed off little 5 year-old, Jake (hit by a car) and then got rid of one of my favorite actors (who played Nicholas Cassadine-who was also played by two different actors); wiped out his character completely. And now, the word is that Katie Couric is coming back to daytime TV and is scheduled to take over the General Hospital time slot on ABC and General Hospital could be history. Hey, this could happen.....All My Children and The Young and Restless were yanked and Susan what's-her-name practically grew up on AMC.

So, I have decided to stop giving my heart, soul and tears (yes, I cried during many episodes) to follow Sonny, Jason and the everyone else when they might be gone when Katie arrives. Sure, I'll miss Spenelli, Maxi and my two favorite attorneys, Diane and Alexis but it's better this way. I want to remember everyone the way they are now BEFORE they get married once again, age years over the weekend, be wiped out by the mob, or checked into ShadyBrook (the neighborhood psych hospital). Besides, I don't think I can keep watching when I know that it might be snatched away from me in the middle of the latest plot.

Thank you General Hospital!

No comments: